Image via Pexels
Written by Andrea Needham
Are you planning a move? Whether you’re moving to a retirement community or downsizing to an age-friendly home, moving is different in your senior years than when you were younger. Not only is calling friends for moving help no longer an option, but older adults have different needs when buying a home.
That’s no reason to shy away from downsizing! While some aspects of moving may be harder this time around, there are lots of digital tools to help along the way. Bemidji Senior Center shares the online resources every downsizing senior needs.
Moving used to require a lot of legwork. These days, homeowners do most of the work online. Here’s how you can start your house hunt from the comfort of home.
- Searching real estate listings online is easier than ever with websites like these.
- Some real estate sites even include virtual house shopping extras like 3D walkthroughs and live video open houses.
- Neighborhood apps like NeighborhoodScout and AreaVibes help senior homebuyers find safe, livable neighborhoods.
- Older adults can also start their senior living search online with the use of review sites and other tools.
When you’re ready to sell your house and downsize, where do you turn for help? You don’t have to go far with online resources like these.
- Older homeowners benefit from working with a Realtor who specializes in seniors. Search for a local Senior Real Estate Specialist online.
- A Senior Move Manager, meanwhile, helps older adults with the logistics of decluttering, organizing, and downsizing.
- How do you choose a reputable moving company? After finding movers in your city online, read reviews and verify credentials before making a final decision.
The hardest part of downsizing is deciding where to start. These checklists take the effort out of downsizing your home.
- The best thing you can do when downsizing is to start early. The second best thing is to use this downsizing checklist to guide the process.
- Homeowners also need to prepare their houses to sell. From setting the price to making repairs, don’t skip these steps for sellers.
- If you’re buying a home to age in place, put these design features high on your priority list.
- What should you bring when moving to assisted living? Every community is different, but this packing list covers the basics.
Your back isn’t what it used to be, but that doesn’t mean downsizing has to be a burden. From digital house hunting tools to real estate professionals, there are plenty of resources to make your downsize a breeze!